Pinterest has had one a heck of a year.
With the arrival of the new smart feed, testing a new desktop layout look, and the promise of new and innovative uses for its promoted pins service, the social media platform that isn’t really a social media platform looks poised to explode.
Luckily, Vincent Ng comes to the Manly Pinterest Show ready to dispel the rumors, disseminate the facts, and give us a bird’s eye view of how far Pinterest has come and where it’s heading in the future.
Vincent, who heads MCNG Marketing, a leading interactive, digital and creative marketing agency located in Vancouver, British Columbia, is a marketing expert who caught on pretty early to the power and potential of Pinterest.
In fact, Vincent joined Pinterest in 2010, when the social media service was still in beta. Intrigued with Pinterest’s quick success right out of the gate, he has concentrated on finding ways to use the service to drive traffic and create sales opportunities for small businesses and bloggers.
His techniques have helped companies like Orglamix, and individuals like gaming expert Yu Kai Chou, use Pinterest to yield incredible sales growth and customer outreach.
Vincent’s book, Pinterest To Profits with Pintalysis, gives readers lots of helpful tips and strategies to boost our own Pinterest visibility.
He has contributed to several social media blogs, such as Top Dog Social Media, Social Media Examiner, Hello Society, and Tailwind, and has appeared on the popular Pinterest podcast, Oh So Pinteresting with Cynthia Sanchez.
Ng also hosts his own podcast, Pictures to Profits.
On top of that, last summer he launched the Pintalysis Academy, his own online, on-demand Pinterest marketing course.
Here is a list of questions we discussed:
- How did you become such a Pinterest expert? (1:53)
- Can you explain the new Pinterest smart feed and why has it captured everyone’s attention? (3:13)
- Have results from the smart feed improved over time because Pinterest has adjusted the algorithm and have gotten a better handle on how it works? (4:35)
- Is it correct to say that the more you use the Pinterest platform, the better the smart feed will work? (5:26)
- What advice would you give small businesses on optimizing the smart feed for them? (6:31)
- How do businesses on Pinterest take advantage of Pinterest users’ predisposition to have a ‘consumer mindset’? (9:36)
- What are some things to think about when creating Pinterest graphics and how they will appear on the mobile app? (12:50)
- Are promoted pins rolling out exclusively in the United States? (15:15)
- Do you think promoted pins are a game changer for Pinterest? How will they affect what people see on their streams? (16:39)
- Is it correct that you only pay for the original promoted pin, not for any repins? (18:22)
- What is the best way for a small business to use promoted pins? (21:33)
- What does the new Pinterest desktop layout look like, and how is it different from the current layout? (23:31)
- Do you like the new layout? (25:24)
- What are some tips regarding running contests on Pinterest? What are some good brands running Pinterest contest? (27:16)
- Any predictions about future Pinterest rollouts? (29:26)
- What Pinterest tools do you recommend? (31:09)
- What can you tell us about your Pictures to Profits podcast? (34:40)
- Any advice for guys getting started on Pinterest? (35:27)
Thanks For Watching And Listening!
I really appreciate you joining me for this week’s episode. Have questions or comments? Leave a message in the comment section below!
If you’ve enjoyed the show, please share it using the buttons at the top or bottom of the page.
Also, please leave an honest review for The Manly Pinterest Tips Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews mean a ton to podcasters and I would really appreciate it. They matter in how iTunes ranks the show and I honestly do read every one of them.
If you’d like to learn more about a certain topic or have something you’d like me to talk about during the show, feel free to contact me.
Thanks to Vincent for being such a great guest. See you for the next episode where we’ll be adding testosterone, one pin at a time!
Neil Ferree says
Pinterest is a social channel I need to get a lot better at. This article was a BIG help towards getting there. Thanks!
Thanks Neil. Let me know if I can help in any way or you have any additional questions. Thanks for stopping by!