Orange is in!
On this edition of The Manly Pinterest Tips Show, special guest Dorien Morin-Van Dam shows off her iconic orange glasses through the fuzzy video impaired by her four children and their connection-draining devices. Morin-Van Dam is full of Pinterest knowledge, and shares her advice about social media with us, as well as her experiences at the recent Social Media Marketing World trade show.
Starting out as a nanny, Dorien surprised herself when she accidently stumbled across a new skill while toying with social media for her husband’s business. She quickly fell in love with it and began to work with the PTA as the ‘Facebook Lady’ and different charities. Then someone told her that she could actually make money off of her hobby!
Now a social media consultant, Dorien got to where she is today by experimenting and doing online courses and is almost fully self-taught. She’s a proud Dutch woman with three dogs, a wife, and mother. And yet, she somehow manages to find spare time to run marathons.
She’s an expert on training social media to small businesses, and I was lucky enough to meet her at the Social Media Marketing World. She spent most of her time there networking and was, of course, displaying her proud colors: Orange and Navy Blue.
Here is a list of questions we discussed:
- Tell us about yourself [1:24]
- What were your overall thoughts about Social Media Marketing World? [3:18]
- When is it right for a small business to go to Social Media Marketing World? [5:10]
- The conference is expensive (about the cost of a new laptop), do you think it was worth it? [8:52]
- What is one tip you learned at Social Media Marketing World? [10:45]
- Should small businesses be using partnerships? [12:01]
- What made you decide on orange glasses? What do they stand for? [18:28]
- Should more small businesses brand? How should they stand out? [22:13]
- How do pins go viral? [24:45]
- Should small businesses put out constant content that is average, or the occasional content that might go viral? [29:17]
- What is your main focus when creating a pin? [31:51]
- What do you tell small businesses who aren’t interested in Pinterest? [35:47]
- What Pinterest tools do you use? [40:00]
- What advice do you have for men joining Pinterest? [42:36]
- Where can people find out more about you? [43:05]
Thanks For Watching And Listening!
I really appreciate you joining me for this week’s episode. Have questions or comments? Leave a message in the comment section below!
If you’ve enjoyed the show, please share it using the buttons at the top or bottom of the page.
Also, please leave an honest review for The Manly Pinterest Tips Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews mean a ton to podcasters and I would really appreciate it. They matter in how iTunes ranks the show and I honestly do read every one of them.
If you’d like to learn more about a certain topic or have something you’d like me to talk about during the show, feel free to contact me.
Thanks to Dorien for being such a great guest. See you for the next episode where we’ll be adding testosterone, one pin at a time!