Sometimes, something that you start doing for fun can turn into a lot more than just a hobby, and that’s exactly what happened for our guests on this episode of “The Manly Pinterest Tips Show.” In this interview, we meet Matt Reithmayr and Ryan O’Quinn, two of the Dad Dudes from DudeDay Films.
Matt, a dad of 2, does serious videos for corporations and has done commercials for companies like Excedrin and WalMart. Ryan has three kids and has drawn on his experience as a father and a husband to write two books, “Parenting Rules!: The Hilarious Handbook for Surviving Parenthood” and “Marriage Rules!: The Hilarious Handbook for Surviving Marriage.” He is also getting ready to start filming a movie.
Dad Dudes is a group of dudes and dads that live in LA, work in the entertainment industry, and amuse themselves with craziness and the stuff that happens in the lives of parents. In the beginning, they hung out every other Thursday, and they shot their first video and posted it on YouTube for fun. Within a week it had over 2 million hits. This success eventually led to their launch of DadDudes.com and the production of many more hilarious videos. Below is their latest video.
Matt and Ryan open up about the inspiration behind their videos, what they think are the most important elements for filming, and the role timing plays when releasing a new video.
Here’s a list of questions we discussed:
- I’m going to let the guys introduce themselves. And kind of show what you do when you’re not making funny videos. (0:52)
- Matt, when you tell people what you are, you say you are a director. Give us some of the things you have directed. (1:57)
- Ryan, what about you? Tell us, when you’re not doing this fun stuff, what do you do for a living? (2:38)
- You’re also an author, is that correct? (4:38)
- How did Dad Dudes come about? (5:12)
- Was this something you were thinking about long term? (7:42)
- How do you guys come up with ideas for videos? (11:17)
- How long does it take you guys to shoot the videos? (15:14)
- How long does it take to edit? How does it work in post production? (17:28)
- How much is left on the cutting room floor? (17:54)
- Would you guys say going viral is something you plan, or is it just something that happens? (21:50)
- Do you rent stuff for your things or is it just you have from jobs? (23:07)
- What advice would you give people who want to start making videos? (25:41)
- How important is story, and what are some things you can say about story development? (28:43)
- What do you think about all this new video coming out? Do you think it’s something everybody should latch onto to tell their story? (33:12)
- I know you guys promote on social media. Do you do any other sort of promotions when you release a video? (36:46)
- I also noticed you guys do sponsorships. Is that helping with production costs? (38:00)
- Have the changes to YouTube with the new YouTube red where it’s that subscription thing, have you seen any impact in any of your stuff? (40:58)
- What about Facebook vs. YouTube? (41:34)
- Can you tell me more about this YouTube space? (43:30)
- What are your long term plans and goals with this? (44:15)
- Has it helped elevate you for your other jobs as well? (45:54)
- What’s the most exciting thing that’s happened to you since you started doing these videos? (47:06)
- Where’s the best place to find out about Dad Duds and their services? (49:50)
Thanks For Watching And Listening!
I really appreciate you joining me for this week’s episode. Have questions or comments? Leave a message in the comment section below!
If you’ve enjoyed the show, please share it using the buttons at the top or bottom of the page.
Also, please leave an honest review for The Manly Pinterest Tips Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews mean a ton to podcasters and I would really appreciate it. They matter in how iTunes ranks the show and I honestly do read every one of them.
If you’d like to learn more about a certain topic or have something you’d like me to talk about during the show, feel free to contact me.
Thanks to the DadDudes for being such great guests. See you for the next episode where we’ll be adding testosterone, one pin at a time!