If you’re marketing on any social media platform, you’re interested in increasing your followers. There is a big difference, though, between simply having followers and having engaged followers. How can you bring your followers to the next level, and why is it so important?
To answer this question, I interviewed my very own “super fan” and fellow left-hander, Dawn Swick-Renshaw.
Dawn has been in love with social media since she accepted her first Facebook friend request in 2008. She is now the owner of Stoney Creek Social Media, an agency located in Michigan that manages over fifty unique businesses on many different platforms. She takes pride in getting to know her clients on a personal as well as a professional level so as to accurately express their brand via social media.
Dawn (who has earned the nick-name ‘the Positive Princess’) has had a lifelong interest in positively influencing peoples’ lives. She believes the world has way too much negativity, and she likes to shine her light through her posts, tweets, and Instagram photos.
Dawn stresses the importance of authenticity and getting to know your followers in order to put out content that resonates with them. She offers advice on when to start engaging with followers and how to get noticed by influencers.
For the second half of the show, we turn the tables and Dawn asks me a few questions of her own. Finally, Samantha Kelly joins us for a few minutes to offer her tips on engagement.
Here’s a list of questions we discussed:
- How did you get involved with social media? Tell me a little bit about your back story. (1:45)
- Did you start mostly from Facebook and branch out from there? (3:30)
- What do you think it takes today to be noticed on social media? (4:16)
- Do you think follower counts matter? (7:40)
- What if you’re a marketing professional? Does it matter for them? (8:37)
- Is there a certain type of content that you like to use for engagement? (10:22)
- How soon do you think you should start engaging with your followers if you’re just starting out on social media? (11:42)
- How can you be authentic to your followers? (15:30)
- Do you think it’s easier or harder now to get noticed by a so-called “influencer”, and does it matter? (17:37)
- Does it matter which platform you’re on? What are some strategies you have for different platforms? (20:58)
- Are there any tactics you use to engage with your followers on Facebook? (24:19)
- Where can people go to find out about you and your services? (25:56)
Here’s a list of the questions Dawn asked me:
- What do you do when you’re not on the Manly Pinterest Tips Show? (26:45)
- What do you love most about social media? (28:13)
- If you had to pick one person that you haven’t met yet, who is your social media hero? (28:49)
- How soon do you think that people expect to be responded to? (29:42)
- What do you think the number one task of social media is: educate, enlighten, self-promotion, customer service, or listen, and why? (31:36)
Here’s a list of questions we discussed with Samantha Kelly:
- What are some tips that you would give to engage your followers on social media? (36:48)
- What do you think about Twitter lists? (38:28)
- What do you think about Twitter shutting off follower counts? (40:05)
Thanks For Watching And Listening!
I really appreciate you joining me for this week’s episode. Have questions or comments? Leave a message in the comment section below!
If you’ve enjoyed the show, please share it using the buttons at the top or bottom of the page.
Also, please leave an honest review for The Manly Pinterest Tips Podcast on iTunes! Ratings and reviews mean a ton to podcasters and I would really appreciate it. They matter in how iTunes ranks the show and I honestly do read every one of them.
If you’d like to learn more about a certain topic or have something you’d like me to talk about during the show, feel free to contact me.
Thanks to Dawn for being such a great guest. See you for the next episode where we’ll be adding testosterone, one pin at a time!